How to make Fondant Fantasy Flowers

 Here is what you need:

Fondant
Non stick cooking spray
Tissues
Toothpicks
A fine paint brush
The flower mould
Petal dusts

1. Grease the flower mould with a bit of non-stick cooking spray before you make the first  flower. Rub the excess spray off with a tissue. Then each flower you will need a pea sized ball of fondant. Place it in the mould as shown here, then simply place the other half on top and press the two sides together in the centre.                                                         

  2. Remove the little flower from the mould gently using a toothpick. Then use the toothpick to make the centre of the flower by gently pressing in the middle of it.
3. It won't take long before you have lots of little flowers. Leave them to firm up a bit. This will take at least a couple of hours. I made this in the morning and came back and coloured them in the afternoon.
4. To colour the flowers you can use some petal dust. There are various brands and a huge variety of colours to use. You can buy them from a cake decorating shop for around $5 each. you only need a little bit and can use the dust mixed with cornflour if you want a lighter effect.
Here are a couple of examples of ways you can use these flowers:

Children love making these flowers too. Jessica even made some to put on my Birthday cake this year! ;-)



That's all for now.
 If you have any questions,
just leave a comment and I will try and help.
Visit the Tutorial and Recipe Page for more ideas.





15 comments :

Lady Muck said...

Oh I love it! What a fantastic blog find this is. I am now a follower and have you listed on my site as a good read.

I look forward to many hours searching through your older posts for inspiration. Love these little fondant flowers... So elegant when used on cupcakes. Thanks so much for sharing the tutorial!

rich said...

love it :)

Marina said...

That's a lovely tutorial ((;

boxset4less said...

So beautiful!

cindy said...

I love the pink cake. I've never decorated a cake before. Any suggestions on classes?

Sheila said...

Wow lovely! :D

Mrs. JayMay said...

awesome! these are the kind of cakes that you see in movies :)

Melissa, Sugar Art Designer said...

If you are looking for classes and live in Melbourne, I might be able to point you in the right direction. However, if you live further away, I would suggest you look for the Cake Decorating Group in your area. In the USA it is called ICES I think. Cindy, there will probably be a branch in Louiville.

sod_roger001 said...

i could never pull that off. but it does look delicious

Admin said...

Ok i have to bookmark this post.

Karissa said...

I'm new to baking cakes. Is there anyway you could make a tutorial about getting the cake out of the pan perfect. I always struggle this. Seems so simple but its not.

The Girlie Blog said...

Very neat little flowers!

Melissa, Sugar Art Designer said...

Karissa, do you use non-stick spray, or line your tins? What shape tin are you using? I can do a little tutorial with photos soon. :-)

blogvirgin said...

I have taken the Wilton cake decorating courses and since I have absolutely no artistic skills in sugar or cake decorating, I understand the work that must go into what you are doing and it is truly appreciated.

Aban Kekobad said...

You are very talented indeed! If you like food do visit my blog too http://myfoodandrecipies.blogspot.com/
cheers

Post a Comment

Please leave any cake related comments or questions here.